Friday, February 21, 2014

Weekend Links (Best of My Recent Work)



I've been silent here for the most part. Mainly because the newspaper has been keeping me very busy and I couldn't be happier. Basketball/football season has given me a lot of work and I could not be happier.

Just so you know what I've been up to, I'm presenting a few links of my best work starting with today. Plus sharing a few behind the scene tidbits

Bishop Montgomery guard Justin Bibbins is only 5-9 but he dominates every game he's in. He's a leader, well-spoken, thoughtful and a future Long Beach State 49er. Here's my feature on him.*

Speaking of features, my last football feature was on Narbonne defensive end Owen Roberts. The kid they call "Boogie" became one of my all-time favorites to cover because he was fun, quotable and friendly. He's heading to San Jose State and for this, I was happy to talk to his coach and several old teammates.


From this week, Palos Verdes survived a late shooting clinic to beat Gahr in the first round of the playoffs.**

Serra girls hoops was ready to celebrate Senior Night but rival Bishop Montgomery had other plans. Huge upset.***

I've also covered more soccer too. Here's two pieces on Banning girls losing 2-1 in the playoffs and Mira Costa girls winning their second-to-last regular season game.

And believe it or not, I've covered wrestling. It's been a lot of fun getting to know a new sport and this piece on South Torrance winning league was great because I got video of the last match that the team went wild for. ****

Westchester went eye to eye with nationally ranked DeMatha of Maryland at the Nike Extravaganza. Great shooting by future LMU guard Elijah Stewart but DeMatha pulled it out in OT*****

Finally, Redondo boys basketball got one of their top role players back last week. Jeremiah Headley got a nice ovation and scored on his first trip down the court.

*Bibbins was kind enough to do this story after learning his grandmother passed away earlier in the day. I'm grateful for his time
**I was all set to listen to my interviews when apparently, I didn't record my stuff with the coach. Turns out I somehow filled up my space on the recorder. Good lesson - listen and make mental notes in case technology fails you
***Apparently I'm a Senior Night jinx
****Lesson here, always be ready and anticipate when a moment can happen
*****I had to write this one in 25 minutes thanks to the late end and deadlines. Somehow I finished it and turned it in only 2 minutes after deadline. Credit typing on Google Drive on my phone (a lifesaver!) as well as trying to write in the final minute of OT

No comments:

Post a Comment