Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Week of Good Work



It's been an eventful week for me but also a productive one. Even though jury duty abruptly changed some of my plans, I'm still amazed at the level of work I did in spite of it and my schedule being tight.

I know I've been neglectful in sharing my stories here but I hope you'll indulge me for sharing after this week. (Here's a quick link to my non-sports thoughts from Monday on last week's Game of Thrones ep, which I think shows how my TV critiques are getting better)

Tuesday, for Bro Jackson, I tag-teammed with fellow scribe Courtney Cox to tackle the ignorant, lazy comments of Chris "Mad Dog" Russo regarding the lack of Black journalists on his station. As I've written before, media and new media are glaringly White and when comments like these are said, you can't leave them alone because they are dangerous. Courtney set it up so well with her takes that I felt like Mariano Rivera or Trevor Hoffman closing this out in style.

Later that night, I was at a volleyball game with a league title at stake. A three game sweep for El Segundo against South Torrance. 2 straight Pioneer League titles and 2 straight without losing a set.


Thursday, I turned in one of my favorite features of my career. Westchester senior Nick Hamilton was a solid basketball player but an exceptional student who hasn't gotten less than an A on a report card since 4th grade. He not only won the prestigious Gates Millennium Scholarship Award that will pay for his tuition, but he's going to Cal. It reminded me of what I went through in HS to be valedictorian.

After the trial I was on ended Friday, I went to Long Beach to cover a swim meet for the first time. It was just like a track meet so although it was new to me (at least in person), I treated it the same way. Oh yeah, I wrote it in about 20 mins due to deadline.

Then Saturday, I wrote this feature that came out today. Long Beach State had overlooked trying to snag sprinting talent from powerhouses Long Beach Poly and Long Beach Wilson but thanks to assistant coach LaTanya Sheffield, that's changing this year. She's got three coming her way and what I loved what the confidence in Sheffield's voice - it's magnetic and the young ladies were drawn to that right away.

So there's my week in review. Sometimes you really have to toot your own horn and let folks know how happy you are with your work because if you aren't proud of it, why send it in?

No comments:

Post a Comment