Friday, October 25, 2013

Friday Wrap! (Weekend Links and Thinks)


Saw the Lakers' recent preseason game against Utah and I realized this team might actually be alright. For the first time in a while, they have youth and guys who can score on their own. If Steve Nash stays healthy, he might actually feel like he's in Phoenix again with Xavier Henry, Nick Young and Jordan Farmar splitting some backup duties with Steve Blake.
Alas, that tough opening schedule makes it also easy to realize it's going to be every bit a struggle as I thought. But I'm glad Kobe is taking his time because it's not how the season starts but how it ends.

The Grambling situation has been far too complicated for me to address here. As someone whose parents and sister went to HBCUs and personally had to overcome my anti-HBCU bias in college, I'm saddened by what the administration and the Louisiana government have done here and I'm glad the players took an eloquent stand for their rights and safety.

Check out the excellent Monday edition of His & Hers Podcast with Jemele Hill, Michael Smith and HBCU product Bomani Jones speaking on it all.

Tell me which sounds better? The Boston Red Sox saw their nine-game World Series streak ended or they lost their first game in 27 years? Which is more accurate when you add that Boston has only been in three World Series since 1986 and had completely different teams in 2004, 2007 and this year. You decide but as I always say, context is so critical and we as the media need to do better with numbers to make it sound cool AND accurate

That said, on to the links of what I've done this week.

Pac-12 Preview: Week 9 - Return of the Momba (De'Anthony Thomas), Arizona's Ka'Deem Carey revisits the team that gave him his reputation as a stud and Stanford will put another team in the crucible. (Bro Jackson)

UCLA vs. Oregon - AKA the game where UCLA has to rediscover their mojo against the No. 2 team in the country. Cue the Bubba Sparxxx cause this is gonna get ugly. (UCLA 24/7)

I covered my first tennis match in two or three years and got to see one of the best teams in California. (Daily Breeze)


No comments:

Post a Comment