Monday, December 2, 2013

Steve Sarkisian to USC (Video + Extra Thoughts)



As you enjoy my video above discussing the USC hire of Steve Sarkisian, here's some more stats to consider that I hinted at.

FBS Rank in Total Defense since 2010: 65, 102, 35, 60
Conference Rank in Total Defense since 2010: 8, 11, 4, 5
Conference Rank in Total Offense since 2010: 8, 7, 10, 2

Sarkisian will be bringing defensive coordinator Justin Wilcox with him to USC so that's a good sign that the defense will continue to be solid. Plus, Sarkisian is not afraid to go after mobile quarterbacks which is something USC desperately needs if they want to stay relevant. All they need to do is look at how UCLA waxed them twice with Brett Hundley's arm and legs.

I do have some more concerns. 1st, the kids who were recruited up there* and the current seniors who committed to Washington. Being a high school sports reporter, I can't help but think of how they feel as much as the Trojan family will feel. The USC commits also share my concern even though I think they'll find Sark to be as warm as Orgeron was.

Also, the quick interview process reminds me why we need a Rooney rule for college football. With it even more likely that colleges will hire folks within their family, it's all the more reason why we need to make sure minority coaches get in the interview process. Kevin Sumlin re-upped with Texas A&M but I'm sure there was a qualified coach who could've been interviewed just to float their name around.

I like Sark a lot but the decision-making is why we need to force athletic directors and universities to interview candidates of color. I'm glad Vanderbilt's James Franklin was considered but an interview shows a bit more progress than just being talked about. I'm not indicting USC as much as I'm looking at the bigger picture with other schols.

Either way, we'll see what happens. Like I said, I'm not thrilled about the hire but it's not a bad one. It's just predictable.

*The kid I had in mind was Troy Williams, who I covered several times during his senior year. I understand his frustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment